Monday, March 5, 2012

A little catch up, The Birth

Since having my first child in 2009 I have been troubled. First by the system. What system? The hospital that is. Stupid Medical system is how I see it! Let me start by trying to tell you about the birth of my first child. You would think that because my husband was an officer in the Military that we would've had it good, right, WRONG. During my pregnancy I was very sick I had Hyperemesis. (For those who dont know what this is: Hyperemesis gravidarum (HG) is a severe form of morning sickness, with "unrelenting, excessive pregnancy-related nausea and/or vomiting that prevents adequate intake of food and fluids."Hyperemesis is considered a rare complication of pregnancy but, because nausea and vomiting during pregnancy exist on a continuum, there is often not a good diagnosis between common morning sickness and hyperemesis. Estimates of the percentage of pregnant women afflicted range from 0.3% to 2.0%) Anyway, I was so sick that I could not hold any thing down not even water! So I went to the ER (Which is more like an Emerge Care in the Military). I had to this about 15 times before I felt better and was about 20 weeks pregnant. Each time they would give me drugs, lots and lots of drugs. Everything from pain killers to anti-nausea strong enough for cancer. Anyway I was real lucky that my 2 years old is fine. Anyway the point is I should've known that they were going to be drug pushers when it came birth time. I think at the time I was to sick to care. Which is sad. Anyway when its was time to give birth I woke up at 5 am with the contractions really heavy. I sat straight up in bed looked at my husband and said its time. We got up, got our things together and I ate breakfast. Then we went to the hospital to labor and delivery. When we got there one of the first things they asked me was if I was going to have an epidural. I said no as I was planning to have a natural birth. I was then told that I would have to go home or walk around the hospital until I was closer to having the baby. As I lived 30 mins away I didn't want to go home. So for the next nine and half hours I walked around the hospital, with back labor I might add. Finally when I could not take anymore gocking from strangers and I was so tired that we went back to labor and delivery and asked if I could have a room yet. They said if I would get an epidural I could be checked in. So I did. I was exhausted at this point and now wished I has not done it. What can you do? I cant change the past. Anyway after receiving the epi I had our first baby at 6:30pm, 4 hours after I was checked in. The point to all of this? Well its that from the very start I didn't have the support to do what is right. They just wanted me in and out. They didn't want me hanging around doing what is natural for my body. Instead they treated me as I was a product that was to be controlled, a consumer.

No comments:

Post a Comment